This is for Shelby.
This is my way of e-mailing a recipe.
We made this for "family dinner" on Sunday and they were mighty delicious. The dressing is a little funky, though in my opinion.
Costa Vida Sweet Pork Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes (excluding Sweet Pork)
- 1 head of Romano lettuce, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 1 can Bush’s ® Black or Pinto beans
- 3 Cups of Sweet Pork
- Cilantro Ranch Dressing (see recipe below)
- 6 flour Tortillas
- Pico de gallo (see recipe below)
- Tortilla strip crunchies
Cilantro Ranch Dressing
- 1 package of Hidden Valley ® buttermilk ranch dressing. (prepare according to directions)
- 2 tomatillos (they look like green tomatoes, but they are NOT! You may substitute 3 Tbsp of prepared salsa verde)
- cilantro (1/4 bunch)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (remove seeds)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 Jalapeno diced (at least a Tablespoon, but more if you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 limes juiced (about 1/3 Cup of lime juice)
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper
Mexican Sweet PorkServes: 12
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
- 4 lb pork shoulder roast (the more fatty the roast, the better)
- 1 Cup of Pace Picante sauce. (Medium heat is best, but the mild version will work)
- 2 Cups brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove pork roast from packaging, and wash. (Avoid cutting the roast to expedite cooking time)
- In a separate bowl, mix picante sauce and brown sugar and wisk until sugar is mostly dissolved.
- In a crock pot or slow cooker, place the roast in the cooker and cover the roast with the mixture of picante sauce and sugar.
- Place on medium heat, cover and simmer. Check it every hour or so to rotate roast in the juices. The roast will eventually produce enough juices to make the right consistency, so do not add water.
- Once the roast is fully cooked, it will begin to fall apart. Use a fork to separate the meat into smaller segments. Cover and continue cooking.
- After 8 hours, continue to shred the meat until no chunks remain.
- If it appears to be too juicy, turn slow cooker down to its lowest setting, remove the cover and let it reduce as needed.