Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My pregnancy was pretty normal and we anxiously awaited the 36 week to 38 week mark, which is when many twins arrive. Starting around 30 weeks I was having lots of irregular contractions so around midnight of October 18th, I ignored the pains I was feeling. Around 5am of the 19th I woke up and timed my contractions every 10 minutes for about an hour. I was nervous to tell Jake I thought I was in labor because he had a presentation for his business group at 8:30 that morning. I hesitantly woke him about 6:30 and told him what was going on. I asked if he wanted to take separate cars to the hospital in case it was a false alarm he could make his meeting and I could drive back home. We loaded our bags and car seats, turned on the dishwasher and headed out in the same vehicle.

We were in triage for about an hour, walked for an hour, and were finally sent home when nothing had progressed. I was so disappointed when the contractions suddenly slowed to one an hour. We went to my parents house to hang out for a little while because they live much closer to the hospital. I took a nap, watched some tv and ignored the cramping again. Late afternoon, we accepted that nothing was happening that day. Around 8pm everything started up again with a new level of intensity! We headed back to the hospital and were there for another hour. I was in so much pain and could not keep anything down, even water. I was given Morphine, Terbutaline and Ambien. Although none of them worked, I was sent home again! Because I was a few days short of 37 weeks (full term), they were not allowed to help me progress including breaking my water or giving me Pitocin.

Grandpa Lyle meeting Oliver
Again, we went to my parents house to wait to go back later. On top of my contractions that never stopped, I was having terrible back labor that could not be relieved by anything. I tried ice, heating pad, taking a bath, laying down, sitting, standing... Around 5am, we went back for the third time and I was finally admitted at 5.5cm dilated and 100% effaced. It was so great to finally be checked in. I was moved to a labor and delivery room and asked for an epidural as soon as I could speak through another contraction.

Oliver Lyle
That feeling of relief I got was the amazing! I don't know how I could have endured the rest of labor without it! While laboring, I was instructed to keep the oxygen mask on as both babies' heart rates were dropping during contractions. After the epidural, things starting moving very quickly! Oliver Lyle was born at 10am and was given the okay. Oliver had some low blood sugar and did spend a few hours in the NICU until it was raised. He cuddled with daddy while I immediately starting pushing Baby B. The doctor was worried because his heart rate was still dropping and was "sunny side up" and stuck on my tail bone. He was helped out with the vacuum in order to avoid an emergency c-section. Wyatt Daniel arrived at 10:21am and was taken to the NICU promptly.

Uncle Scott meeting Oliver
About an hour later while I was in recovery, a code blue came over the speaker which I immediately knew was for our baby. Jake and I were rushed to the NICU where he was surrounded by a team of doctors and nurses. We were told he had a seizure and stopped breathing. The two of us were able to hold him for a few minutes and he was then flown to Cardon's Children's Hospital.

Wyatt was accompanied by 4 nurses and a security guard which left no room for another passenger. Jake met the helicopter at the hospital to be with Wyatt. After several CT Scans and EEG tests, we were told there was no evidence of any permanent brain damage due to his episode. Wyatt spent 8 long days in the NICU.
Wyatt Daniel stretching out
Just as we thought we were out of the woods, we received a call that Oliver's Newborn Screening came back with a mutated gene for Cystic Fibrosis. We later took him to Phoenix Children's Hospital for a Sweat Test. The test later came back negative, meaning that Oliver is only a carrier for the disease.
These boys definitely keep us on our toes!


Just before Wyatt's helicopter ride
Since then, our life has been a whirlwind of diapers, strollers, and bottles. It has been absolutely insane, but also amazing. I couldn't love these babies any more.

Wyatt and Oliver

Oliver and Wyatt

1 comment:

  1. yess i've been waiting for this post! good job mama!!! they are so beautiful, i love those nice pics!